SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — The U.S. and South Korean militaries on Friday concluded their annual exercise six days earlier than initially scheduled in a conciliatory gesture toward North Korea, although the North said the step is not enough to persuade it to return to talks. Previously, US President Donald Trump had abruptly ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise just before it began on Monday. Trump cited what he described as a good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea’s refusal to support him in the war in Iran. South Korea’s military said the Ulchi Freedom Shield, a command post exercise with the United States, ended on Friday. Initially, it was reported that this month’s exercise was scheduled to take place in two phases over 11 days in simulation of North Korean attacks: the first part until Friday on defensive operations and the second part until August 27 on counteroffensive operations. North Korea is extremely sensitive to the second phase. South Korea and the United States had also planned to hold 14 joint field training exercises during the Ulchi Freedom Shield period. But they also agreed to cut them in half, according to the South Korean military. North Korea ignores Trump’s approach Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, ignored Trump’s proposal on Wednesday, saying that reducing the duration and size of the exercises will not change their “provocative and aggressive nature.” The next day, North Korea fired about 10 short-range ballistic missiles into the sea, apparently making good on its earlier threat to respond to exercises between the United States and South Korea that it views as an invasion rehearsal. The US Pacific Command said the developments did not pose an immediate threat to the US territory or its allies. The command said the United States remains committed to defending the American homeland and its allies in the region. Kim Yo Jong’s statement dampened hopes for an early resumption of talks between Trump and Kim Jong Un, whose previous nuclear diplomacy collapsed in 2019. Kim Jong Un has used the diplomatic stalemate to increase his influence by modernizing his nuclear and missile arsenals and aligning himself with Russia in its war against Ukraine. Kim Jong Un suggested last year that he will not return to talks unless the United States drops its demand for North Korea’s denuclearization as a precondition for diplomacy. Kim Yo Jong still used relatively measured language, avoided typical harsh North Korean rhetoric and referred to what she called an “excellent” relationship between her brother and Trump. This suggests that North Korea does not want to completely close the door on future talks and could seek greater concessions from the United States, such as international recognition as a nuclear state and broad sanctions relief. More nuclear weapons and ties with Russia give North Korea greater leverage With its supply of munitions and troops to Russia, North Korea is likely to receive economic and military assistance in return, and its growing ties with Russia give it leverage to solicit greater support from China, its largest trading partner. “After this strategic move has run its course, Kim could seek greater economic and reputational benefits from Washington,” said Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Ewha University in Seoul. “But that will probably be after the US midterm elections, when Trump is expected to be in a weaker domestic political position and in pursuit of headline-grabbing foreign policies.” Kim Dong-yub, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul, said Kim Yo Jong’s statement showed North Korea’s position that a personal relationship between her brother and Trump “cannot be a factor driving the current relations between North Korea and the United States.” He said Kim Yo Jong probably intended to head off speculation that Trump’s move may restore diplomacy so as not to take all the blame when that doesn’t happen. Kim Yo Jong denied Trump’s claim that Kim Jong Un had responded to her request for talks. Asked by reporters Wednesday if he would meet with Kim Jong Un this year, Trump said, “Yes, I will.” Subscribe to Morning Wire: Our flagship newsletter breaks down the day’s biggest headlines. The Ulchi Freedom Shield is one of the main military exercises carried out annually by the United States and South Korea to improve their ability to confront possible North Korean aggression. Its reduction has raised concerns about the joint preparedness of the United States and South Korea.