South Korea president calls for military independence in wake of Trump call to cut joint drills | South Korea

South Korea’s president has renewed his push to regain independent control of the US military in the event of war and urged faster progress in acquiring nuclear-powered submarines after Donald Trump’s order to halt joint exercises. On Sunday night, Trump ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” this week’s joint military exercises with South Korea, saying the nuclear-armed North “has been unthreatening and respectful” and that the US president had a “very good relationship with Kim.” Jong-un.” Lee Jae Myung said Tuesday that Seoul should proceed without interruption with ‌the planned transfer, during his term, of ‌wartime operational control, or Opcon, of South Korean forces from the US, a goal he and the government have long held. ‌They are mutually reinforcing. The issue dates back to the Korean War, which ended in an armistice rather than a formal peace treaty in 1953, meaning that the two Koreas are still technically at war. Since then, American troops have been stationed in South Korea, and the country now hosts Camp Humphreys, the largest American military base outside the United States. The two militaries train and operate together closely, including through large-scale annual exercises like this week’s Wartime Opcon, the authority to direct South Korean forces if fighting resumes, has rested with the United States since the war began, exercised at the time. through the head of the allies’ Combined Forces Command, a position that has always been held by a four-star American general. Seoul regained control of its own peacetime military in 1994, but wartime authority has become a potent symbol of national sovereignty and reclaiming it has been one of South Korea’s most important security goals for more than two decades, repeatedly delayed under successive governments. South Korea to finally take control, a process that Lee has pushed to accelerate since taking office. Lee also called for faster progress in South Korea’s nuclear-powered submarine program and in developing officers capable of integrated operations for future conflicts. Ten days of drills that began on Monday under the name Ulchi Freedom Shield, one of two major annual exercises held by South Korea and the United States, were expected to involve about 18,000 South Korean troops, along with forces. Americans and personnel from 11 of the 18 member states of the United Nations Command (UNC), the multinational body overseeing the 1953 armistice that stopped hostilities in the Korean War. During questioning in the Oval Office on Monday, Trump claimed that North Korea leader Kim had responded to his order to the Pentagon but did not provide details. When asked what stage the talks with Kim were at, Trump said “it’s very positive” but did not provide further details. Trump doubled down on his praise for Kim, saying their ties had reduced tensions. “You see, I’m actually making it a lot safer. Kim Jong-un has always treated me with great respect,” he said. “I understand that. He understands me.” Trump previously suspended major military exercises between the United States and South Korea in pursuit of diplomacy with Kim. After his first summit with the North Korean leader in 2018, that year’s Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercise was canceled, while other exercises were suspended or scaled back. The exercises were redesigned and resumed in modified form with changed names. The U.S. president acted despite warnings from U.S. and South Korean military officials that the Kim regime is learning new battlefield tactics by sending North Korean troops to Ukraine war. Last week, South Korean and U.S. military officials said the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises would incorporate aspects such as the North Koreans’ battlefield drone experience. North Korea has deepened military ties with Russia since they signed a comprehensive strategic partnership pact in June 2024. Pyongyang is providing troops, artillery munitions and ballistic missiles to support Moscow’s war against Ukraine. United in South Korea “Our training takes that threat into account, which is why the exercise looks different. [from previous exercises]and over the past five years it has continuously evolved.” On Tuesday, Seoul’s presidential office said the exercises did not reflect “any intention to attack North Korea or escalate tensions on the Korean Peninsula.” Lee’s office reiterated that their fundamental purpose was “not to treat a specific entity as an adversary, but to safeguard the safe and peaceful daily lives of the people.”