Nick Kyrgios suspended from tennis after testing positive for cocaine | Nick Kyrgios

Nick Kyrgios has been suspended after testing positive for cocaine, with the 31-year-old Australian revealing on Instagram on Wednesday that he had “made a big mistake”. The former Wimbledon finalist’s suspension was confirmed by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) shortly after. Kyrgios tested positive while playing in an ATP 250 event in Mallorca in June, and the presence of cocaine in his system was confirmed by tests carried out at a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) laboratory last month. Under ITIA regulations, provisional suspensions are mandatory in the event of positive cocaine tests, although Kyrgios has the right to appeal. “I wanted you to hear this from me first,” Kyrgios wrote. “I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine. I made a big mistake and I take full responsibility for it. I am sorry for my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone who is close to me. Most of all, I am sorry for the children who follow me. I know the example this sets and I am deeply disappointed in myself. “I’m not going to make excuses, but I do want to give a little context about where I’ve been. The last few years of injuries have taken their toll on me, both physically and mentally. My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and accepting the fact that I’m near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined. “I’ve always said that I didn’t choose tennis, tennis chose me. But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face. At times I’ve felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did. “However, the good news is that this has given me a wake-up call. For the next 28 days, I will be staying away from social media and public life while I focus on grooming myself. “I would ask that people respect my privacy during that time and, most importantly, the privacy of my family. I’m sorry. I will do the job and come back better.” The ITIA confirmed an unspecified provisional suspension for Kyrgios, the duration of which will depend on whether the substance was taken in or out of competition. Nick Kyrgios was a finalist at Wimbledon in 2022. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/The Guardian In 2017, Britain’s Dan Evans received a 12-month ban after testing positive for cocaine during the Barcelona Open, but WADA rules have since changed to provide for a three-month ban for out-of-competition offences. This ban can be reduced to one month if the athlete agrees to follow an approved rehabilitation programme, the path followed by South African fast bowler Kasigo Rabada after he tested positive for cocaine last year.skip past newsletter promotionFree newsletter | Every daySign up to Australia SportGet a daily digest of the latest sporting news, features and commentary from our Australian sports department following the newsletter promotion. “Kyrgios provided a sample during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca, Spain, on June 22, 2026,” the ITIA statement said. “On July 17, 2026, a laboratory accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine. “Cocaine is a stimulant and substance of abuse on WADA’s list of prohibited substances and is prohibited in competition under the Tennis Anti-Doping Program. Due to the nature of the substance, a provisional suspension is mandatory and is in effect from August 4, 2026.” Kyrgios has been a controversial figure throughout his career, which peaked with a 2022 Wimbledon final loss to Novak Djokovic, having previously reached a high world ranking of 13 in 2016. In recent years, injuries have restricted Kyrgios’ appearances and he has not played in a Grand Slam since the 2025 Australian Open Championships, although she did participate in the “Battle of the Sexes” against Aryna Sabalenka in Dubai last December.