Listen to this articleDear 2 minutesThe audio version of this article is generated using AI-based technology. Pronunciation errors may occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve results. Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios revealed on Wednesday that he tested positive for cocaine and was provisionally suspended from tennis. The 31-year-old Australian was defeated by Novak Djokovic in the 2022 singles final, but has only played two Grand Slam events since. He is now ranked 919th after a series of injuries. Kyrgios posted details of the case on social media. “I recently tested positive for drugs in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine,” he wrote, citing a lower-level tournament in June. “I made a big mistake and I take full responsibility for it.” Cocaine is prohibited as a doping substance during competitions, with lesser penalties possible when used outside of events. Kyrgios has detailed mental health problems in the past, exacerbated by alcohol and drug use. He said it has been difficult to accept being near the end of his career after two years of injuries. “At times I have felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did,” he said. Kyrgios received a wild card to play doubles at Wimbledon last month and lost in the first round to partner Alexander Bublik. The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) will prosecute the case and said the player’s sample was taken on June 22 and the positive test was confirmed on July 17, after Kyrgios played at Wimbledon. A mandatory provisional suspension was applied on August 4 and Kyrgios has not appealed, the ITIA added.