Colombia’s president asks Trump to suspend tariffs amid earthquake recovery – National

Colombian President Abelardo de la Espriella called on his ally, US President Donald Trump, to suspend tariffs to help the South American nation recover from a powerful earthquake that killed at least 289 people. De la Espriella took office earlier this month, just days before the 7.4 magnitude earthquake struck. He was endorsed by Trump in Colombia’s close presidential election, which was decided in a runoff on June 21, and has sought to emphasize his connections with the American leader. On Saturday night, de la Espriella wrote in X that he spoke with Trump and thanked him for the help sent by the United States in response to the earthquake. He added that “he asked him to consider the temporary suspension of the high tariffs that affect Colombian products, in order to provide relief to our businessmen, who are facing very difficult times due to the effects of the earthquake.” Story continues below ad There has been no immediate response from the Trump administration to de la Espriella’s request. The United States has offered a total of $26.5 million in earthquake relief, including food, shelter and medical supplies, according to the US State Department. 2:03 Colombia earthquake: Rescuers work to find survivors of deadly 7.4 magnitude earthquake More about the world More videos The earthquake that struck Monday morning devastated parts of western Colombia and affected cities such as Pereira, Cali and Quibdó. Cities along the country’s Pacific coast were especially hard hit. The president declared the earthquake a natural disaster. Get the latest national news Get the latest Canadian news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you don’t miss any breaking news. The government has said 143 people are missing, while other civilian-run databases put the number in the thousands. The natural disaster, whose epicenter was in one of the poorest regions of the country, Chocó, has so far left 3,937 people injured, according to the government. In addition, it destroyed 14,705 homes and damaged another 81,536. Story continues below ad In Cali, Colombia’s third largest city, workers searched for the more than 70 people reported missing in that city. Hope remained alive even after the key 48 to 72 hour period for finding survivors under the rubble passed. “Miracles happen” even though more than 120 hours have passed since the earthquake struck, Cali Mayor Alejandro Eder said from the unified command post. “We are working where we know there are still victims; we are working in the hope of rescuing people alive.” © 2026 The Canadian Press